Tonight we’re heading out on the town in celebration of my little girl’s birthday. She’s turned 11 years old and I can’t even begin to imagine where the time has gone. She came to us as an extremely premature, medically fragile foster child and changed our lives forever in just about every way imaginable.
Today I wanted to honor her with 10 words I would use to describe her to try to scratch the surface on how exceptional she is.
- Caring. She is empathetic and reaches out to help others in so many ways. She loves completely and feels it deeply.
- Funny. This girl makes me laugh. Her timing is spot on, and sometimes her random thoughts catch me off guard.
- Helpful. Whether cooking in the kitchen or cleaning up somewhere else, she’s most usually ready to jump in and help you get the job done–laughing all the way.
- Fighter. Okay, stubborn could be a word here too (and can be applied to getting her own way), but she stands up for people. She can’t stand injustice and wants to do something about it.
- Creative. Her imagination as well as the way she thinks about things really amazes me. I often wonder, “how did your brain get there from here?
- Vivacious. This girl is full of life from the time she wakes up to the time she lays down at night. Still, she loves snuggling for movie time or reading too.
- Authentic. She doesn’t hide her feelings even though she’s sweet most of the time. What you see is what you get.
- Joyful. When she’s excited, you can’t help but get excited too. Even with the simplest things, her joy is genuine and contagious.
- Discerning. She doesn’t go along with the crowd. She knows herself and understands others through her empathy. She has the ability to know who she can trust.
- Beautiful. Inside and out, she’s growing into a remarkable, beautiful young woman and I’m proud to be her dad.
I’ve seen her grow from a baby the size of my shoe to this incredible young lady. I’m so excited to see the woman of God she will continue to develop into–a woman of character, love, and grace.
Happy birthday, Alicia!